This is the time of year for gathering, parties, football games, and appetizers. Truly, taco dip is one of my favorite appetizers! I could eat a whole plate of it myself. However, it always contains dairy in the dip as well as the cheese; since I’ve been eating dairy free, I’ve needed to create better dairy free versions of my favorites (because simply not eating it is not an option for me). I recently had a mini break through when I was thinking about how I could make good taco dip without sour cream and cheese.
*This post contains affiliate links to products that I receive a small commission on when purchased. For full disclosure click here.
The key ingredient is hummus! It offers the same tangy twist that sour cream does with none of the dairy. I also just forego the cheese, however if you truly miss it, which you probably won’t, you could always try vegan cheese. Honestly, I’ve never thought those were worth eating.
- 1 cup (or can) refried beans (or make your own–black beans, olive oil, taco seasoning)
- 1/2 cup dairy free mayo
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- Two avocados
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Tortilla chips (for serving)
- Prepare refried beans if doing so (Simmer black beans with olive oil, add 1 tsp taco seasoning, mash)
- Layer refried beans on the bottom of serving dish
- Mix mayo and hummus with 1 tsp taco seasoning and layer atop refried beans
- Prepare guacamole if doing so (Mash one avocado with lime juice, cumin, and salt)
- Layer guacamole atop mayo layer
- Chop lettuce and layer atop guacamole
- Chop olives and sprinkle on lettuce
- Sprinkle salsa on top of dip
- Chill and serve with tortilla chips
If you or a loved one has a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance, gatherings can be challenging! It’s always best when you can bring an allergy friendly appetizer to a Halloween or football party, and this dip is just the snack you need!
Tell me, what’s your favorite dairy free, gluten free appetizer?
Like this post? It would mean so much if you pinned and shared it!